Compiling Microsoft Enterprise Library June 2005 using VS2005 and MSBee

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by Genar
------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to compile the Microsoft Enterprise Library June 2005 (and also another project written in Visual Studio 2003, which uses the Microsoft Enterprise Library) using Visual Studio 2005 and MSBee, because the target Framework is 1.1 net.

I could compile succesfully most .csproj files, however, there is a project related to Microsoft Enterprise Library (Configuration.Design.csproj ) which gives some warning which do not look fine; that is, executing the command:

C:\program files\Microsoft Enterprise Library June 2005\src\Configuration\Design>msbuild Configuration.Design.csproj /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=Release /p:TargetFX1_1=true

/p:CustomAfterMicrosoftCommonTargets="ProgramFiles\MSBuild\MSBee\MSBuildExtras.Fx1_1.CSharp.targets"

It gives me a lot of warnings (more than 20) like:
RCRFX1_1 : warning : At least one of the arguments for 'DataLinks.RemoteCreateDBInstanceEx' can not be marshaled by the
runtime marshaler. Such arguments will therefore be passed as a pointer and may require unsafe code to manipulate.

And also few warning messages like:
RCRFX11 : warning : The type library importer could not convert the signature for the member 'COSERVERINFO.pAuthInfo'.

RCRFX11 : warning : The type library importer could not convert the signature for the member 'COAUTHINFO.pAuthIdentity
Data'.

Is there a solution to correct this kind of RCRFX1_1 warnings?

Thanks in advance.
Aug 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM
originally posted by John DAddamio - MSFT

If you mean that are actually trying to build the Microsoft Enterprise Library using MSBee, I can't say that I recommend doing it. You would have to convert the entire library to VS 2005 using the upgrade tool before it would build correctly with MSBee.

Instead, I recommend that you actually build the library with VS 2003 and reference the built DLL from your own projects which you have converted to VS 2005. Then, you can build your projects with MSBee and they will pick up the Microsoft Enterprise Library DLL that you built with VS 2003.

John
Aug 17, 2006 at 4:33 PM
originally posted by Genar

Thanks for your quick advice.

Yes, I think that your proposal is the best choice in order to build projects using Visual Studio 2005 and MSBee with Enterprise Library June 2005 so that these projects can be targered to the .net 1.1 framework.

The other obvious solution is to use only Visual Studio 2003, but sooner or later machines with .net frameworks will be updated to .net 2.0, so it is interesting to use only Visual Studio 2005 and to have the possibility to target the .net projects either to the .net 1.1 framework (via MSBee) or to the .net 2.0 framework.

Note: During the conversion of VS2003 project to VS 2005 project it has happened that the new C# "partial" type is used (the converted coded of my projects is full of this new type), however MSBee, like C# compiler for .net 1.1, does not understand this new feature, so "partial" type has to be removed in order to compile the project using MSbee.

Regards and thanks again.