MSBee not properly compiling DLL with a web reference

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:41 PM

migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by Steven Borg, MVP
------------------------------------------------------

I'm using MSBee to compile a VS2003 DLL. I do the conversion to VS2005 of the MyUtility.sln file using "devenv MyUtility /upgrade". That works easily, then I use MSBee to build the solution. It throws all sorts of errors on not finding stuff for the 'reference.cs' file (missing classes, enums, etc). But when the same project is opened in VS2003, it compiles easily.

Is there something I'm missing, in general, or does MSBee not support projects that reference web services? I noted a few places that MSBee doesn't support Typed Data Set generation... Is this one of those things?

Thanks!

Steve
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:42 PM
originally posted by John DAddamio - MSFT
------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

The VS Upgrade tool and VS 2005 use partial classes for web references. Partial classes are not supported by MSBee because they didn't exist when VS 2003 was released so the VS 2003 compilers can't handle them.

The only way to make it work is if you explicitly save the old proxy classes and replace the new proxy classes with the old ones. But this has the drawback that any time you need to update a web reference, the new proxy class will have VS 2005 specific code and will break the VS 2003 build using MSBee. So, you may have a maintenance problem if you have to update the references frequently.

John D'Addamio