What's the point of MSBee?

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:54 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by James At CVG
------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure I understand the point of MSBee. What would the greatest advantage to our team is using VS.Net 2005 to build projects that target 1.1. However MSBee doesn't help with this, it's still possible to use 2.0 methods and classes, and when the designer is used all sorts of new properties can get added that are not valid on 1.1. This is disappointing.

Is there any possibility that what I'm after will ever be available? If not then our team can never move up to VS.Net 2005 as we have to support and develop on .Net 1.1 (we have clients running NT4). :-(
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:55 PM
originally posted by Bertan Aygun - MSFT

James,

As you pointed out, MSBee does not have IDE integration right now because of the issues above mainly. MSBee is designed to use MSBuild to produce binaries targeting .Net v1.1. However there is a work item open on this issue in CodePlex project page.

Thanks,
Bertan

So what is the case where you imagined the use of MSBee? If you still have to maintain the project then you still have to use VS.Net 2003. This means that if you want to use MSBuild you'll have to convert the project from VS.Net 2003 project format every time you build.

Am I missing something?
originally posted by Bertan Aygun - MSFT

MSBee was designed mostly for cases where you start to target .Net 2.0 binaries for new releases, but you have to maintain .Net 1.1 binaries as well.

In this case you would convert your 2003 project to a 2005 project format and keep one copy of the 2005 project for maintainence. If you have a converted projected, VS 2005 does not generate a lot of code that contains 2.0 only features since it has to work with the converted code base. For example VS 2005 designers don't use partial classes for the imported forms thus you can use designers to edit them (at least this was the case when I tried it).

But as you said if you are still primarily doing development targeting .Net 1.1, then you would probably be better of using Visual Studio 2003

Ok.

Unfortunately though if you need to add new controls to a form the designer adds some 2.0 properties for some controls.