MSBee-First Run on Asp.net 1.1 app

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:09 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by DanielStruve
------------------------------------------------------

i load my web app for the first time in vs 2005, the app gets converted.

but changes teh web app name from projectName to http://localhost/mywebapp

all my projects references to projectName get lost.

Is there some comprehensive guide to building a asp.net 1.1 web app in vs 2005 using msbee because teh readme is not helping me.?
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:09 PM
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

The issue with building web projects tends to be how they're converted from VS 2003 to VS 2005. There's a step by step guide to doing this conversion at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/WAP.asp#wapp_topic12. Pay close attention to step 6, which discusses areas that can make your project no longer buildable with .NET 1.1. Additionally, the bottom of the page has an appendix of known issues.

Note that MSBee has no control over how a web app gets converted from 2003 to 2005; it simply builds the result of the conversion. Our tests have shown that the conversion leaves the web project in a state where MSBee can successfully build it. However, if a change happens during the conversion that makes your web app no longer .NET 1.1 compatible, MSBee will not handle it.
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:10 PM

thank you for your assistance.

OK i got the projects converted without errors. lots of warnings though :)

anyway, it consists of two projects

1) the website that was converted

2) another class library

I cant find the project file for the website that got converted so that I can put in the msbee build.

Where is it?
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

Did you install the Visual Studio 2005 update to support Web Application Projects? Without it, you won't have a project file (VS 2005 web projects don't have project files by default - the add-on adds them back). Note that you need to install the Web Application Project add-on before converting.

yes i did. it converts my web project to a project.

Here are the problems I have with the conversion:

webapp ame before converion

mywebapp

webapp name before converion

//localhost/mywebapp (also unreferencable)

1) it adds a bunch of folders that were children of the vs 2003 web app folder but excluded from the vs 2003 project

2) my web app project has classes and after teh conversion, I cannot access those classes because theres no way to reference the web app that I could see

I spent two days trying to it working. thats too much time, I have to table this until i have the confidence to go forward. thanks for your help.
originally posted by Bertan Aygun - MSFT

Best place to ask about those issues would be ASP.NET forums. It seems like all of the issues are related to project conversion.
originally posted by Bertan Aygun - MSFT

Thank you, for now its too much time to spend, not worth the effort.