Is MSBee suitable for my case?

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 9:50 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by sharplife
------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

I have recently migrate my development environment to VS 2005 but because I should support my customers applications which are written using .NET 1.x I still have VS 2003 on my system. I want to explain my case; please answer MSBee is suitable for my case or not:

Now I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer because I need IIS to run my .NET 1.x web applications. I want to install a Windows XP Home Edition because I no longer need IIS thanks to VS 2005 Built-In web server. Can I do these steps and still work on my .NET 1.x projects?

1- Uninstalling my XP Pro
2- Installing XP Home Edition (Without IIS)
3- Running my old .NET 1.x web applications in VS 2005
4- Run them using built-in web server
5- Compiling them to .NET 1.1 binaries using MSBee

Please help me to decide!
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

Your goal of migrating to VS 2005, but supporting customers who use .NET 1.1 by building your applications with MSBee, is exactly what it's intended for.

To address your environment concerns:

1. MSBee should work on any Windows OS that can install .NET 2.0, .NET 1.1, and the .NET 1.1 SDK.

2. I don't think the built-in web server has any impact here since MSBee is solely about building your web projects, not running them. In order to build a VS 2003 web project with MSBee, you'll need to convert it to a VS 2005 Web Application project. "Web application projects provide a companion web project model that can be used as an alternative to the built-in Web Site Project in Visual Studio 2005. This new model is ideal for web site developers who are converting a Visual Studio .Net 2003 web project to Visual Studio 2005." (copied from http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wap/). You can read more about Web Application Projects, and download the VS 2005 update, at the above link.
originally posted by sharplife

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your reply. One thing that I emphasize on is that I want to keep VS 2003 project structure, but when I convert it in Visual Studio 2005 my projects structure will be changed. Is there any solution to keep everything unchanged while working in VS 2005
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

The best place to ask that would be the ASP.NET forums since that issue has to do with their project converter.