MSBee: RCRFX1_1.exe path hardcoded?

Topics: For MSBee Developers
Aug 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by Matt Godbolt
------------------------------------------------------

I'm tryging to use MSBee to help build my company's Visual Studio Addins for both VC2003 and VC2005. Currently we're using a modified InterScape build setup; for which we keep the .target files inside our existing source control package.

I'm now moving to MSBee, primarily for its ResolveCOMReference support. However, I'd really like to roll out the MSBee targets and DLLs inside our source control setup. This means I don't have to manually install (and upgrade when necesary) MSBee on each development PC. As MSBee is essentially a few XML files, a DLL and an EXE, I think this should be achievable.

The only thing that's stopping me rolling out now though is the RCRFX11 executable. The path for this seems to be hardcoded to the installation folder of MSBee, and there doesn't seem to be a place for me to configure this behaviour. Ideally I'd like for MSBee to look for the RCRFX11 executable in the same folder as its DLL (as this in my case is not the MSBee install folder). Of course on development PCs there won't be an MSBee installation (if this is plausible).

On a related note; does anyone have any comments as to the licensing issues this might bring up? It saves me potentially a lot of work to roll out MSBee (and updates) simply by checking in newer versions, so it would be very useful if this was technically, and legally, possible.

Many thanks.

--------------------------------------------
Matt Godbolt - ProFactor Software Ltd
Aug 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

First off, it's great to hear that you're finding the ResolveComReference support useful.

Regarding your licensing question, I'll ask our PM's about it since I'm not an expert.

To answer your main question, MSBee's ResolveComReference task looks for RCRFX1_1.exe in the default installation folder; this is hard-coded into the task itself. The use of %ProgramFiles%\MSBuild in the installation path was to remain consistent with other MSBuild extensions and to simplify usage since %ProgramFiles%\MSBuild is $(MSBuildExtensionsPath). I can review this with our PM's and see if we want to change this approach for the RTM release, which is scheduled for early May.

It would be great if you could add this suggestion in BugTracker on the MSBee home page. This will allow you, along with other project members, to track the status of your suggestion. Additionally, it allows us to keep track of it so we don't forget about it.

To do this, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=59384 and click on the "Bug Tracker" link on the left pane. This will take you to the BugTracker home page for MSBee. If you click on the "Manage bug" link in the left pane, you can add a new bug to the MSBee bug tracker.

If you get an error that your request can't be processed, then that means you need to become a project member. In that case, you can go back to the MSBee project homepage and click on "Apply to join this project" link on the right. Once you've become a project member, try submitting the suggestion again.
Aug 16, 2006 at 9:22 PM

Thanks Craig -- I'll be sure to add a suggestion to the BugTracker. I also look forward to hearing if this style use of MSBee is legal too!

Cheers,

Matt

--------------------------------------

Added it as a bug, ID 1.

--------------------------------------
originally posted by Sara Ford MSFT

Hi Matt,

I'm the Program Manager for the Power Toys for Visual Studio. Feel free to check-in MSBee into source control if it assists in developing and testing your applications.

Thanks!

Thanks for confirming that Sara - much appreciated! :)