MSBee / DirectX

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 9:51 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by timtos
------------------------------------------------------

Hello.

I am trying to compile a solution to .NET 1.1 using MSBee.
(currently working with .NET 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005)
This solution also references DirectX assemblies - the problem:

"The type or namespace name 'DirectX' does not exist in the class or namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing..."

"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets : warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX". Check to make..."

Can MSBee deal with DirectX?
Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Tim.
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

First off, bear in mind that MSBee is enabling the scenario where a person develops a VS 2003 project, migrates it to 2005 and then builds it for .NET 1.1. From your description above, it sounds like you're only developing in 2005. So, I'd first try adding the same DirectX reference in VS 2003 and seeing if it works.

Secondly, given the warning, it sounds like ResolveAssemblyReference simply can't find the assembly. For resolving references, MSBee leverages MSBuild's ResolveAssemblyReference task; if msbuild can find it, MSBee should also be able to find it. Thus, I'd check the project file to see if there's a hint path specified for the reference and confirm the assembly is actually there.

For me to debug this, I'll need you to add '/v:diag' to the end of the MSBuild command line and run it again. The /v switch controls the verbosity of build output and 'diag' produces diagnostic output which makes debugging easier. Thus, if you could add this flag to obtain the output and then post the output, it would help me determine your exact problem.
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

Any follow-up here? Were you able to resolve the errors? If I don't hear back in a few days, I'm going to consider the problem resolved and close this thread.