How to rename output assembly?

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:52 AM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by Bill Henning
------------------------------------------------------

Hi there... I'm a newbie to MSBuild and I'm finally starting to work with MSBee for outputting a .NET 1.1 version of my assembly.

I would like to output my .NET 2.0 assembly with this name, which is set up in the VS project: MyAssembly.Net20.dll

I would like my MSBee .NET 1.1 assembly to be output with this name: MyAssembly.Net11.dll

I've been playing with parameters to the MSBuild task (I'm running a master MSBuild script that calls an MSBuild task for each compile) but can't seem to get it to rename the MSBee assembly. Could someone help point me in the right direction on how to achieve naming my MSBee assembly output differently than my .NET 2.0 assembly?

Thanks,
Bill
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:53 AM
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

With MSBee, we avoid overwriting .NET 2.0 output files by using a different output path for MSBee produced files (bin\FX1_1). Thus, one option would be to remove the ".NetXX" portion of the file name and rely on MSBee to output the .NET 1.1 assembly to a separate location.

Another thing you can try is adding the following in your project file:

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(TargetFX1_1)' == 'true'">

<AssemblyName>MyAssembly.Net11.dll</AssemblyName>

</PropertyGroup>

This should change the assembly name when TargetFX1_1 is set to true on the command line.
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:53 AM
originally posted by Bill Henning

Great, that worked. Thanks!