So is it possible to create a template?

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:40 AM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by Jazzy
------------------------------------------------------

A template would have the target settings already configured instead of manually going into the project build file and adding the target references by hand?

I remember in 2003 the enterprise templates, could a similar method be used to create premade templates for applications?

In a way I answered my own question, but I still would like to hear other ideas. In particular, the problem is truning off the partial class feature. If there is a way to do that, then maybe. But that feature would prevent you from truly implementing a VS2005 IDE that compiles applications to 1.1 from scratch.

The current solution does allow you to use MSBuild to compile applications, but not create them through the IDE.
originally posted by nala

Yep I just created a form template for 1.1 without partial class. It's pretty easy to do.

Visual Studio doesn't try to revert anything back to partial classes, so it doesn't seem like using the 2005 ide to build forms for 1.1 is a problem.
I would be really interested in the steps you did to create your template. If I can make a build that wil compile to 1.1 then I would be set to convert to VS 2005 almost fully.
originally posted by nala
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\VCSExpress\ItemTemplatesCache\1033\Form.zip

1. Move all the code found in designer to form (put in class)
2. Remove "partial" keyword
3. Remove "using System.Collections.Generic;"
4. Remove "this.AutoScaleMode = System.Windows.Forms.AutoScaleMode.Font;" delete the 5. delete designer file
6. Remove the designer file reference in the vstemplate file.

I think that's about it.