Direction of MSBee

Topics: For MSBee Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:27 AM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by Oren Novotny
------------------------------------------------------

I was just wondering about the current direction of MSBee -- was/is it going to stay largely structured as it is, or will it be morphed to be closer in style/behavior to the CrossCompile targets where it imports the 2.0 targets files and overrides certain tasks with a platform condition?

Thanks,
--Oren
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:27 AM
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

Our plans are to keep MSBee structured as it is. Leveraging the platform condition would be useful if we decided to integrate MSBee with the VS IDE. Right now, however, we don't plan on adding IDE integration.
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:28 AM

That's very dissapointing as I believe that limits the ease of use. Hopefully someone can come up with a targets file that uses the MSBee tasks with Jomo Fisher's targets file.

--Oren
originally posted by Josh Ledgard

If you haven't you should also make sure you voted for this in the survey I sent out to the early adopter groups. There is also the possibility that a third party will build a complimentary tool that addresses your needs.

Already did :)

I guess I just don't understand why it's so hard/difficult to touch up the existing targets file that Jomo Fisher wrote. Given that he was on the MS Build team and an MS employee, I'd imagine that you'd already have the rights to do whatever you wanted with it.

The parts that's missing from his targets are things like VS Assembly paths. He also uses the CFResGen since that still uses the 1.1 format -- but it wouldn't be hard to updated it to use the MSBee.dll ResGen task instead.

If it were a matter of starting from scratch, then I understand wanting to start small. But given that there's already an excellent starting point that already has this support, the MSBee targets just seem underwhelming so far.

I look forward to seeing what develops :)
originally posted by Craig Lichtenstein - MSFT

So, to be clear, we did start from scratch. While Jomo’s targets file was an inspiration and did serve as a reference point, it also has many limitations. Primarily, his targets file is limited to altering only tasks that could already be overridden. Thus, his solution doesn’t include a ResolveCOMReference task and his implementation of GenerateResource uses the compact framework build DLL. Additionally, the file doesn’t filter csc and vbc parameters that won’t work with the 1.1 compilers (note that we have separate targets files for C# and VB). His targets file doesn’t pick up all possible reference directories because it can’t access the registry to read the paths. Jomo’s work is useful as proof of concept for retargeting and provides a nice example of IDE integration. However, since we don’t currently plan on adding IDE integration, there was no need to copy his approach. Thus, a decision was made to create new targets files as opposed to building off of his.