Features from .NET 2.0 for .NET 1.1 in MsBee?!?

Topics: For MSBee Users
Jan 17, 2007 at 8:10 PM
Hi

I'm a little confused as to exactly what it does.

1- Say I get .NET 2.0 installed on my machine, and then MsBee. Would I then be able to open my visual studio 2003 projects with Visual Studio 2005? But ensure that they build for .NET 1.1 ?

2- Can I use features that appear in .NET 2.0 (such as the new Mail API, master pages, etc) but build them for .NET 1.1?

3- If not (2), does VS2005 tell me when I'm using a feature that is not available? Does the intellisense give me only options for .NET 1.1 if that's what the project is configured to be?

4- Can I run both Visual Studios on my machine?

5- Will people who only have VS2003 still be able to open the projects once it's been shifted to VS2005 using MSBee?

Any answers to those would be most welcome.

Chris
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2007 at 3:55 AM
MSBee is mainly designed for people who works with VS 2005 primarily but also has to generate .Net 1.1 assemblies for some of their customers.

It works with VS 2005 projects only, so you will have to convert your VS 2003 in to a VS 2005 one which won't be compatible with VS 2003 anymore.

Since MSBee uses compilers from .Net 1.1 SDK, your code should not be using any new features in 2.0 including new APIs that were not available in .Net 1.1. Visual Studio 2005 will not warn againts use of these features or APIs, that's one of the reasons why MSBee is disabled when build process is called from Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Bertan
Jan 18, 2007 at 8:25 AM
"Visual Studio 2005 will not warn againts use of these features or APIs, that's one of the reasons why MSBee is disabled when build process is called from Visual Studio."

So basically it's the equivalent of targetting the .net 1.1 platform? What do you mean by "one of the reasons why MSBee is disabled when build process is called from Visual Studio?

Can you change that? Can you enable it to be able to do it within Visual Studio. I thought that was the point of MsBee?
Cheers,
Chris
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Yes you can enable it by not putting the conditions in the target directive (See the readme).

I often use it when I need a tool compiled for .NET 1.1. It will work in Visual Studio, but you have to be careful about how you use components and things. Many of the newer controls are not directly 1.1 compatible.

WIth a bit of manual work you can use Visual Studio fine. Just that you will have some manual clean up that you will need to do since the IDE doesn't understand it.

One of the things in the back of my mind for this project is to eventually create an add-in to limit the components that Visual Studio sees. So maybe using reflection to validate what controls are .NET 1.1 Compatible when you add them to the page.
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:42 PM
So to answer the questions in order ;-)

1: Well almost Yes. You have to convert to 2005 Project file first then you have to modify the file to compile using the MSBee Target files.

2: No.

3: No, Hopefully this can be added as an addition to the project, but that is not here yet.

4: Yes you can, the project files are not compatible however. So once upgraded, it is a Visual Studio 2005 Project file from then on (which is also the MSBuild file). You can create a new Visual Studio 2003 Project file and bring those back into the IDE then compile them however.

5: See #4, but the answer is No unless they create a new project file again. Essentially you are dealing with 2 seperate projects at that point however.