Can a build pick up the right version of .NET Framework

Topics: For MSBee Users
Nov 9, 2006 at 4:45 PM
If I have an application built in VS2005, and is deployed on a machine with 1.1 will it be able to run?

MSBee provides the ability to build 1.1 with VS2005 but is there any way to build an executable which will load the appropriate .NET version.

So I build using VS2005 with the appropriate flags and on a machine with 1.1 it loads 1.1 and on a machine with 2.0 it loads 2.0. Is this possible.

I want to have one version of the executable not one targetting each platform

Thanks

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:30 PM
An executable for .Net 1.1 framework, can be executed by both .Net 2.0 and .Net 1.1 frameworks. But a .Net 2.0 executable requires .Net 2.0 framework to be installed on the computer. You can get more information about this at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/netfxcompat.asp?frame=true#"docum_topic3".

As far as I know it is not possible to build a .Net 2.0 binary that will run on .Net 1.1 framework simply because of the differences between two frameworks.

However if your application does not use any of .Net 2.0 features or libraries, you can use MSBee to compile it targeting .Net 1.1 framework and you will be able to execute it on both frameworks